Sunday, February 22, 2009

Three Things on a Notecard

I am going to share something that I've started doing with my freshmen at the end of this year. Before each game, I give them a note card with three things that they can do to help the team. These things are not something like "score 20 points" or "grab 15 rebounds", because I don't want to give them goals that have numbers. I feel that if they grab 15 rebounds in the first half then they will be satisfied with their performance. With these notecards, my players basically get jobs to do that stretch an entire game. Some of my favorite ones are:
"Help swing the ball"
"Go after every rebound"
"Attack the rim"
"Take the OPEN shot"
"Talk on defense"
"Be in helpside"
"Pressure the ball from baseline to baseline"

They are things that really everyone should do, but I try to make sure SOMEONE is thinking about. It's just a little thing, but I think it helps their focus.

No comments: