Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The "Gonzaga Game"

I was talking with basketball fan and blogger Kevin Alsteens the other night and he was telling me about what Gonzaga does from time to time during their scrimmages.

Coach Few sets an amount of time for scrimmaging and puts a rack of balls on the side of the court. Each time there is a turnover in the scrimmage that ball is "dead". It is put off to the side and another ball is taken off the rack. This continues until there are no more balls on the rack. If there are no balls left and the last ball is "dead" on a turnover, the players run sprints for the rest of the time set aside for scrimmaging.

I think this is a great idea if you want to get your guys to emphasize ball security. It makes sure that each possession is important.


What I think would be a good idea as well is during scrimmaging have a rack of balls for EACH TEAM. The team that runs out of balls first runs while the other watches. I think one rack for both teams may lead the defense to be a little less aggressive because if they cause a turnover, it gets the defense one ball closer to running as well.

1 comment:

GeekCyclist said...

Wow - I think this has to be one of the top 5 coaching ideas I have heard this year. I really like the modification of a rack for each team.