Saturday, November 26, 2016

High School Practice with a Shot Clock

We are 3 practices into the season, after 2 days of tryouts. One of the things are are experimenting with this year is practicing our offense with a shot clock. We've been using a 24 second shot clock for a some of our small sided games, 5 on 5, and full court work. In our full court work the clock starts with the ball crosses half court.

It's early on, but I'm really liking using the shot clock while working on offense. We want to play quickly and it forces us to do that. It forces players to stop wasting time on offense (over dribbling, dribbling to nowhere, holding it too long, etc). It really forces us to constantly attack and hunt great shots. It's been great to increase our offensive urgency.

The downfall to using a shot clock, obviously, is rushing and throwing up bad shots. In order to discourage bad shots we do have a bad shot rule in our games. If a player takes what we consider a "bad shot" we will not award a point - even if it goes in. The idea is that we want to move quickly in order to find great shots. Our assistant coach Jeremy Christiansen hit it on the head on Friday "We want to play quickly in order to get a great shot more quickly, not just to shoot quickly."

I would encourage you to think about practicing with a shot clock. I think it will force your players to play at a quicker tempo than they are used to. It will make your high school games slow down for your players, which is a key to great offense.

19 comments:

Unknown said...

IN California, we have a shot clock. But it is 35 seconds, so it doesn't do much except keep teams from stalling. You can still play "slow down", just not for as long as states without clocks. Your idea to use the shot clock is solid, but your idea of getting a "good shot quicker" is really a great concept. Best wishes this season.

Unknown said...

I wrote good lab report and i and I'm proud of them!!!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I had also faced this trouble in my past, when I wanted to learn Quality Basketball camp, One of my friend suggested me Hoops Lessons to Join as a trainee. I joined them and not only learned the Skills Training for Basketball but also getting good platform from them because they are known in the world for their Basketball Trainer. You can simply contact them by visiting - www.hoopslessons.com/

Unknown said...

The good report!!!

โกลเด้นสล็อต
จีคลับ

sara myler said...

here you may find the Best Basketball Hoops

Unknown said...

This is a great report :) Very informative I write about self-improvement and basketball over at -http://basketballninja.com/basketball-court-self-improvement/

Keep up the good work!

Best Wishes,

Finn

Shawn said...

If a participant takes what we remember a "terrible shot" we will not award a point - even though it goes in. The idea is that we need to transport quickly in an effort to locate exquisite shots. Essay Help Might encourage you to consider working towards with a shot clock. I suppose it will pressure your players to play at a quicker pace than they're used to.We want to play quickly and it forces us to do this.

Anonymous said...

I agree that the nation needs to go to a shot clock, however, I propose a shot clock until the last 2 minutes of the game. If my team has earned the right to stall the last 2 minutes or draw a foul it is still a great strategy. Now working at
Report About Dredge .I don't want watch a team stall for 3-8 minutes just like anyone else. I have seen too many HS teams just blow the lead and then when they need to shoot again they have gotten "cold". A shot clock is a great idea

Gregory Lekoy said...

Hi, guys rate my paper, please

HomeWorkFor.me said...

This is very useful information for me. Thank you very much! If you need home help, our service will do the best for you- https://homeworkfor.me/about .

คนสวย2019 said...

ฉีดเผาผลาญไขมัน




สิ่งใหม่





ฉีดลดแฟตที่ปลอดภัยแล้วก็







มีคุณภาพ



ที่สุดในโลกที่ศิลปิน



ฮอลลีวู้ดใช้ ประกัน









คำตอบ







กับการฉีดลดแฟตที่ดีเยี่ยมที่สุด









ได้ผล



เยอะที่สุด





ในโลกจากอังกฤษ



ยุโรป อเมริกาแล้วก็







กาหลีตัวยาที่ทรงพลัง





ที่สุดในตอนนี้




ฉีดสลายไขมัน
meso fat

Monnika Jacob said...

I captained my college basketball team for almost three years and my team won more than a dozen of matches. Whatever the field, be it a sport or an organization, cooperation is essential element to make it a success. Cheap Dissertation Writing Services

Majestic VIP Limos said...

Basketball requires a lot of practices to shot. I love to play basketball. This blog would be very useful for me.
sublimation basketball jersey

Gaurav said...

virgo rising traits They are practical · They are intuitive · They tend to overthink · They don't have a filter · They are over-organized · They can be very controlling.

EmilyAlbert said...


Thanks for sharing the amazing article, I really admire your effort. I want to bookmark your article for my friend's circle. your blog is very informative and useful for me. RFID Reader Manufacturer

EmilyAlbert said...

Its a great pleasure reading your post.Its full of information I am looking for and I love to post a comment that "The content of your post is awesome" Great work. Bamboo Paper Cup manufacturers

Jameshleo said...

Very Good Post Thanks Sharing Post Very Helpful Information, Hi there, Hi There, My Name Is Jamesh Leo and I have provided Assignment Help UAE Online Services for 9+ Years Experience.

John Hardy said...

Basket ball is my favorite sports. This one is very good for your fitness and amazing for us. Thanks for sharing with us. Now it's time to avail 1 litre water bottle for more information.